Subscribe Now!

Sep 23, 2009

On the road

Life in Maun is beyond hot at the moment, and so we've headed to South Africa. Hot beyond hot, hotter than any one Canadian can imagine. By 11am one cannot move, my fingers are like sausages, and I had no idea where my ankles went. And it wasn't even hot when we left, so I've been told. Until the 1st rains come, late Oct it only gets hotter. Tar melts, you can fry an egg on the road, getting into the car is difficult because the door handle is too hot to touch. HOT!


In an effort to save money we decided to drive. It's a 12 hour drive from Maun to Johannesburg. I was and am always up for a road trip and so off we went.








I've been trying to sell my car and been having difficulty selling it. Then I saw this and thought, well now why didn't I think of that..........












Then we saw this sign, imagine... collecting your taxes under a baobab tree......



Eventually we made it to Jozzi as the proud locals call it here, and the temperature is much more civil. I've found my ankles again and they look lovely. And my fingers are no longer bulging over my rings. Last time I was here it was rainy and miserable, I have to say Jozzi is a much nicer place under the sun (isn't any place) and is quite a lovely city. Still wouldn't want to live here, but lovely. It is home to the biggest man made forest in the world, and is full of birds. So for a city, it is really very green.

We then headed to Cape Town which again, last time I was there is was rain, cold and gail force winds. (And that is not an exaggerated term inherited from mum) the front page of the paper said "gail force winds". This time it was sunny and so wonderfully beautiful. It's a stunning sea side city full of such wonderful flowers. I have a new found love for Cape Town, I didn't want to leave!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin