Subscribe Now!

Apr 21, 2009

I am here because....

I realize it’s been some time since I have updated here, and I apologize, we’ve been very busy in the Okavango Delta! Imagine that. We had to take an unexpected trip into Maun for yet again more vehicle repairs, we needed a new rear diff. I now have a wonderful, unintended through knowledge of how a diff operates and it’s purpose in the vehicle running smoothly. I’ve posted a rather facetious and funny (if I do say so myself) post to this effect on the Earth-touch site, click here to read it and all about Maun scrap yards I am sure you will find it very enlightening.

When in Maun we stay in a little cottage with flushing toilets (which I must point out the flush handle is on the opposite side here and throws me every time as does getting into the vehicle, I still walk to the wrong side) and full running (indoor) showers. It is a welcome relief but the novelty wares off quickly and I miss my sunset showers. Maun is lacking in things to do and one bores quickly. My entertainment is watching the donkeys, (Jessica would love it) goats, and people share the roads, sidewalks and I imagine some homes.














Friday rolls in and we were finally back in camp much to my relief. Anxious to get back into the African wild I forgot one minor detail. That now wonderfully beautiful well put together diff of which I just love (not) had to be installed back into the vehicle. Hence another day not out in the African wild but you guessed it, doing vehicle maintenance. I was hoping it wasn’t over yet I was just getting into it. We are on a roll why stop now?

Graham spent Saturday putting the diff in, greasing prop shafts of re-greasing the bearings and other general and always necessary maintenance. I helped by passing him the scalpels and absorbing yet more information that I hadn’t asked for or nor wanted. I got my hands mildly greasy and dirty. What joy.

All this shop talk over the last week has brought the beautiful impact the bush has had on me to the forefront. Eventually getting into the car and making our way to our wild home was immensely gratifying.

The road out of town quickly turns to dirt, and we cross through the buffalo fence. So named for it’s original purpose to prevent buffalo from ranging southward out of the delta during the wet season and thus coming into contact with cattle herds and contrary to keep the cattle out of the delta grasslands, and of course to fend off disease such as foot and mouth and sleeping disease.

There is a stark contrast between the landscape on either side of the fence. On the southern side the ground is bare, light grey dust and sand. On the north side there is grass, trees, and dense scrub which was a lush green when I arrived and as we head into winter and the dry season it has changed to a light brown or yellow with only a few brush strokes of color left in some flowers sporadically scattered throughout providing a stunning contrast when looking out into the landscape. Crossing through this fence calms me to depths of my soul. I settle back in my seat, feet on the dash and take a deep breath in filling my senses with the sweet smells, sights and sounds of the Delta. The first impala we see makes me smile, Impala run ramped and there are many of them, so I think we tend to take them for granted but when I see that first Impala beyond the buffalo fence I am reminded of their importance and beauty and they alert me that I’ve entered the Delta and am on my way home. Going the opposite way, it’s the random donkeys and goats in the road that alert me that I’ve arrived in Maun, not as lovely.

Shortly there after we see elephant, to which we often refer to as ‘ele’, wart hogs, and hippos. Our game drive home pleases me greatly.

Three and a half hours later we arrive in camp, and I feel thankful for all that it is. The sweet sounds of the Rio and Keita’s tiny little voices ring out, and the familiar faces and smiles of Andy, Brad, Jason, Franette and Prika and I am home. Albeit exhausted and covered in dust from the drive, I let out a sigh in comfort. I can’t wait to shower outside by the fading light of the sunset.

It is when I go to bed and rise this morning that all that I missed collides. I lie in bed and listen to the laugh of the hippos, the universal song of the night insects and crickets, and I try to settle into my book, but natures lullaby rocks me to sleep in no time.

I wake shortly after to the sound of something rumbling around in the bush, not heavily, just some grass brushing around so I assume a hyena or something of that size. I sit up to listen and look outside, and I see the unmistakeable silhouette of an elephants ears waving in an out looking in the direction of the tent. The silhouette is so dark that it could easily be mistaken for wonderful dream. The resounding outline of his immense frame makes it’s way across the path to my tent not three or four feet away from my front door. It’s pitch dark out its late at night and this enormous animal makes no sound as it walks. I always expect the earth to drum out a thunderous rumble under their feet, but mother earth doesn’t even seem to register the weight. They are gentle giants and walk as if not to disturb any creature in it’s vicinity from it’s slumber. They are the largest and oldest living creature on earth. Perhaps this is why they are so gentle with her, mother earth, with their uncanny skills preserving her, they appreciate her for her worldly wonder and respect her beauty, we can learn a lot from this wise old animal. They weigh over two tons, and can step on a twig and not break it. Not a single spec of dust stirs from the desert floor as they walk. If I closed my eyes I would not even have known of his presence. In many cultures the elephant is a symbol of power, wisdom, energy and strength, this resonates within me at this moment and brings out such raw emotions as the site of an Elephant always seems to do.

I woke at dawn as I do all mornings in Moremi to the morning sunshine and the ballad of all the Delta birds singing in course; the Francolins, Woodland Kingfishers, Starlings, Babblers (these always make me laugh), Ground Hornbills, Red and Yellow billed Hornbills an orchestra that seems to be conducted by the gentle hoot of the Giant Eagle Owl.

While a week in Maun touring scrapyards wasn’t exactly enlightening for me at the time, leaving the bush and the return home was a reminder as to why I am here, to cling to nature, participate in this environment, blend in with the magnificent animals, gain friendships and knowledge, a better understanding of myself and mankind,and of course look for the lions, a reminder to me that we are merely humans, living in the wild where ever we are, and how privileged I am to be able to bring the the magnificence and wonderment of the Delta and all that it is to you; my family and friends.

And now I must do a pitch, (you can take the girl out of the corporate but you can’t take the corporate out of the girl) please go to the Earth-Touch site now and often to follow what we are doing here in Moremi, follow the lions and everything else we meet along the way. And please do share this with all of your friends, things (and people) are only successful because of the help from others (we need numbers!) so help make us famous! ;-) Cartel I know you are busy with exams and I do wish you lot's of luck, but get those western academics logged on will ya! Even if through facebook! Not to mention this early mid life career crisis and change is expensive so I need to become famous so I can earn more and get my much anticipated promotion from assistant to Camera girl/writer extraordinaire (once mum and Graham get on the grammar and spelling issues, hey I deliver the content and entertainment, once famous thanks to you; I will hire an editor. Marissa stand by). Thanks all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin