Subscribe Now!

Apr 4, 2009

Riding shotgun is so passe, it’s all about riding rooftop in Moremi - a shout out to everyone!

I prefer to ride rooftop it brings me closer to the sky that is somehow already closer to me here. My unobstructed view of the vast African landscape, the open air I breath in, sweet smells of sage, wild lemon, dew on the grass in the early morning. To be able to reach out and touch the sunrise, today a bright orange, yesterday a pale blue and pink. The dark silhouette of the branches of a dead tree brought to life by the colorful backdrop. Rooftop on an old truck accordingly named Nyathi (pronounced Ne-ah-te meaning Buffalo in Zulu) is where I’d rather be. It’s quiet except for the wind in my ears and the sound of the birds. It’s just me up here. It is where I’ve been most introspective. Every bump in the road jolting me in and out of random thoughts. A subtle chuckle and a grin to myself as we pass a giraffe, I sit up straight as the grace of them always seems to make me do. A hippo in the distance snorts and blows in the water as we cusp the edge of his pond. A deep breath in, a sigh and I tilt my head back letting the wind blow my hair off my face and I feel euphoric.

Thoughts of my dad flow in and out all day, as they do most days. From the back of Nyathi I call out silently to the universe, I say good morning Dad. Thoughts of home, of family and friends, I wonder what you are all doing as I miss you. A bump in the road, I re-adjust my seating, jolted to the next thought, dinner with Uncle Dan and Aunt Risa. Bump. Mums olive and sage bread, potato bread, cream brule... food. Dwights dinner time jokes. Bump. Donna’s sweetgrass lotion, I really should have her send some. Bump, hanging on to the side of Nyathi tight. Jacqueline’s ride to conquer cancer (click on this link to sponsor her) and how her training is going. Jamie’s on Main and the all the Stowe gang, hmmm chocolate chip cookies and I wonder who is giving Ramby bacon? Marissa’s contagious laugh. Marketa’s trip to paris, Arian’s wedding planning and Janey’s new job, I don’t worry about Janey’s wedding planning, she is the most organized women on earth, I am certain it is all complete and ready to go. Bump. Karen’s over due and much deserved holiday. Big bump, re-adjust my position again. Mike’s new titanium hip, Foster, Michael and Judy at southledge, must be getting muddy there now and what do the dawn patrol do in the summer? Dawn golf patrol? I wonder if Paul has gotten the job re-location to Bracebridge where he loves to be more than anything. Big bump, hit a stump. Thinking about diving into a cool fresh water lake in Northern Ontario after a long hot summer drive up, not even unpacking, heading right for the water and remembering how the cool water feels on my hot skin. Beautiful fall colors, and moonlight snowshoes in Stowe. Rooftop drinks with the girls at the park hyatt, better; spa days with the girls at the Still Water. Oysters at Rodneys with Kath, and California veal sandwiches, mild with extra cheese. after a night out of too much wine. Did Madelyn get that new position at work and how was Ethans birthday party? Will Joe and Wynanne and the kids come visit? Bump. How is the whole Doiron gang? Big bump and things jiggle, must try to remember all the abdominal exercises Jess taught me.
(all feel free to send a note and answer all these questions!)

I realize this all sounds a bit romper roomish, (I think most of you will remember that show from the 70’s) however it is just a brief of my random thoughts, and to let you all know (even those not mentioned) that I do sit on top of a big old truck named Nyathi and ride through the Moremi bush looking for the lions and thinking about all of you back home and sending all my love from across the miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin