Subscribe Now!

Feb 27, 2009

Following a dream










Departure 14:29 YYZ-DUL-JHB

I am sitting in the "Molson Canadian" lounge at Pearson International Airport.  I've been dropped off by one of my oldest and dearest friends with whom I spent my last night in Canada with.  I can't think of a better way to have done so, the days leading up had been hectic and full of laughs with the people I love the most and having them here today would have only made me sad to say goodbye and felt far too final for what it is.

It is with mixed emotions that I write this.  I wonder what the profound effects of time and distance from family, loved ones and civilization as I know it will be on my soul, my mind and my body.  I find myself increadibly at ease with all of this,  I've also placed an enormous amount of trust into the situation and the people I will be spending my year with.  I've asked almost no questions, as it just seems natural.  As if it is meant to be, as if this is simply what I am supposed to be doing. 

JHB Feb 27th

I trusted when they told me there would be someone at the airport to pick me up and there was.  After a 2 hour flight to washington, an hour layover and a 14 hour flight to Johannesburg I've arrived in Africa.  The flight was not bad at all.  I managed to score 2 empty seats next to me and was able to curl up in a ball and get some sleep.  I woke with only 4 hours left in the flight and it went by quickly.  It was in those hours that I had to fight back some tears and hide my ridiculous grin.  These two opposing emotions have been getting the best of me for some time now.   I've drempt about Africa my entire life.  I threw a stone in the pond  when I was very young and the ripples have found their way back to me.  I've arrived in Africa!!!!.  

The moment I got off the place I felt my winter dry Canadian skin absorb with great glee the warm air.   From my head to my toes, if it's possible for these parts of my body to also smile they were.  Every pore in my body was smiling. 

In Jo-burg  I will spend the night with Graham's cousin Martin and his wife Di, and their beautiful year old daughter Anna, an absolute sweetheart with blond hair and blue eyes. They've opened their doors to me in typical south african style, with open arms, smiling eyes and a glass of white wine.  Divine.

As my airport lift drove up to Martin and Di's house, one cannot help but notice the wall around the house, topped with an electirc fence protecting the house and it's occupants.  As is all the homes around.  Alarms everywhere.  We ate dinner outside, however we are unable to set foot on the lawn after dark, there is a seperate alarm system for that area.  Then when we all go to bed half the house is completely closed off and the alarms set as well.  It is how it is here in Jo'Burg.  It's not so much the crimes as it is the way in which they are committed.   Homes don't just get robbed, they get robbed and the people in it killed, for a couch, a T.V or a cell phone.   Because of this it is your responsibility to protect yourself, your family and your home. You couldn't and certainly would not go for a walk around the block at night.  It is so forign to me, but a way of life for those that live here.

I am off for now, tomorrow will fly to my new home. I am giddy with anticipation!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin