Subscribe Now!

Mar 11, 2009

Hungry hungry angry Hippos

While out looking for the lions we often stop to photograph all the rest of the beauty that surrounds us, on monday it was the Hippos. They are truly ridiculous animals. They snort and laugh, it’s quite funny to hear, they waddle when they walk, a male can weigh up to two tons! and all that weight is carried on these tiny stumps of legs. Make no mistake that these short fat guys can move fast, while they only eat grass, if you are in the way of their water they will take you out. So there we were taking photos of the Hippos in the pouring rain, and Graham says “get out and walk around the car will you”, he needs me to distract them a little so they look up. Yes Graham, whom I’ve placed and enormous amount of trust in, is going to use me as bait so he can have a photo opportunity. I trust him. So I get out, all seems fine, and I get back in. The mother seems a bit irritated, there is a young cafe with her. But we shrug it off, there seem no real intent . We pack up the gear and start to move the truck. She decides to chase us. That is correct, hungry and angry mother Hippo is chasing our truck. Graham thinks this is hilarious and is laughing as we drive, shouting would "you like to have a look" ...to which I politely respond “no thank you, I am fine...just drive Graham”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin