Subscribe Now!

Mar 17, 2009

The lions roar under African sun

We’ve managed to locate the pride again. While we were at the circus on the weekend, Nick found the lions on Dead Tree Island (this is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen, I will post pics once the lighting is just right for such a setting) They had finally managed to eat and had taken down a Buffalo calf. I was so excited to hear this news and couldn’t wait to see them with full bellies, there lack of nutrition as of late had left them nothing more than lethargic and lazy.

The rain has finally let up, the sun is shining, my skin is browning and the roads are drying up a bit. This makes for easy tracking, we quickly pick up the lions tracks and find them not far from where Nick had seen them on the weekend. They are looking lovely with full bellies. The cubs are playing gleefully. The lions seem to be an equal cross between a cat and a dog, they play like dogs, with sticks and such. Hiss and prowl like cats. They are amazingly strong. The average weight of a female is 126kg, males up to 260kg bar in mind as well that animals muscles are four to six times stronger than a humans. A mere tap from one of these “cute” cats and we’d be dead in an instant. This is the first time since I’ve been here that I have seen them move so much. I am in awe, they are such beautiful animals. We still are uncertain as to where the males are, but it is interesting to watch the females with the cubs, it’s almost as if there are lessons being taught. As we watch the pride starts to roar, I sit as the sound reverberates through my bones, it’s the most majestic sound sweet on my ears, incredibly humbling in such powerful presence. Possibly the most impressive natural sound that has ever fallen on my ears.

The function of the roaring is territorial advertising, location of pride members, and strengthening social bonds.







2 comments:

  1. I love this last photo of the lions peeking from behind the tree. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have now caught up on your blog. I love reading your words and listening to your experiences. What an amazing adventure... one that few of us will ever understand or know. I love the pictures Penny... keep that up. The one thing I keep wondering is... what's things smell like there and how is that on your senses?!? x

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin