Subscribe Now!

Mar 21, 2009

Sunsets and lunchin'



The past couple of days have been simply amazing. Camp numbers are low right now, Brad, Andy and the kids are on holiday and Nick has left to get supplies and go home. So right now it's just Graham, Leto and myself. The vehicles finally got fixed and on thursday afternoon Graham and I set out to catch a sunset on Dead Tree Island. On route we saw the lions, they were sniffing out a herd of Buffalo again, however seemed to simply be sniffing with no real intent in mind. We sat and watched the Buffalo for a bit in hope the lions might make a move. At that moment we were surrounded by elephants, lions and Buffalo. I couldn't help but smile from ear to ear in the moment, it was absolutely amazing. The lions were clearly not doing much so we kept going to Dead Tree for the sunset. It was simply beautiful, as we sat an elephant came by grazing in the colors. Stunning.




Our hours are long here in Moremi, they often begin at 5am and do not end until 9pm. Our days off, today and saturday, are often spent working, by choice. Work for us is a way of life, and it does uniquely define us; and we are flattered that it does. We live and breathe our work. Today, this was amplified a million-fold for me.



I came from working in a corporate environment, in a windowless office, to this moment today, sitting in my office tent, peering out into the open African sky. I got up to get us some home-made iced tea when I heard a deep rumbling. It sounded like a car humming, I looked up and, to my shock and amazement, saw a breeding herd of approximately 10 Elephants! I called to Graham to get his camera, but he was by my side before the words were out of my mouth. He too had heard and seen them from the office window.

Graham directed me slowly and quietly to the edge of camp just inside the electric fence, I crouched in awe as we watched the herd feed only a few meters away. Silenced by their beauty as they grazed and fed right in front of me. My mouth open in amazement, my heart raced not in fear (well maybe a little bit), but mostly in excitement to be immersed in such raw and natural beauty. To stand small next to such a large and majestic animal. To be reminded that we are merely humans, living amongst the animals.

This lunch time experience reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

~I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man; if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature; and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority ~ E.B. White







No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin