Subscribe Now!

Aug 25, 2009

A time for departure

As most of you are aware, things have changed a bit here in Moremi. Earth-Touch has "retrenched" (such a lovely word) over 50% of their staff.

The good news is have some forks in the fire and though can’t say here what they are I am excited and confident of what is to come next on my journey. Most of you got an email from me with more details. And I hope soon to be able to share it here. Stay tuned! In the mean time we will be staying in Maun, which I promise you will be an adventure in itself that you are sure to hear about.

It is with mixed emotions that I part with Moremi. We leave camp on wednesday the 26th of Aug, ironically it is exactly 6 months to the day that I left Toronto. I’ve learnt a lot while here about wildlife, photography, simplicity, myself, nature, the connectedness of man and animal and our senses, and the nature of people; near and far. I’ve cried hard in my healing process and laughed equally as hard. Initially it was difficult to process, I came here to this spot to be here in Moremi. That was what I came here for and now it’s changing, a possibility that never even entered my mind when I left. My dream came true, I came here to Moremi in Africa, to live no less. It became my home. So at first the news of leaving was difficult to deal with. But now I see clearly that it’s time to go. This chapter is over and I leave behind a lot of myself. Parts of myself that need to be left behind. I realize that no matter where I go, there I am, though each time a little changed, a little touched, a new piece added and some left behind.

Last night I got all dressed up (a sun dress in Moremi is like black tie) and I spread some of my fathers ashes on Dead Tree Island. It was surprisingly healing. It felt like a weight off my shoulders, I was letting go. Not of him and his memory but of some of the hurt and pain that came with his death. What I’ve learnt is there is no refuge, no place to go to deal with your grief. Your grief will be with you no matter where you are. And so little by little I let go of that pain, let lose the grip.


Life is an adventure and to quote my father “the journey is the destination”. I have moments where I get a little worried, think I might starve and have nowhere to live. But everything happens for a reason, I would never get to that point and it always works out in the end, this I know well.

It's all part of my journey which is a never ending crossover. I’ve gone where there is no path and am leaving a trail.

I am saying goodbye to Moremi, goodbye to this camp, goodbye to parts of myself.

Hello to the next step, the next adventure, the next chapter, and I hope I never get to the destination the journey is way too interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin